April 29, 2011

Love is in the Air

It's "Spring" (as much as you can call 40 degrees and raining spring) here and you know what that means; it's time to reproduce. Well, for the animals at least. This week we found our first nests on our study sites. Sadly they aren't Henslow's Sparrow's nests, but we're going to keep track of them anyway. I also managed to find the Bald Eagle nest again (with the help of my visiting boyfriend), which has two chicks in it! I'll do my best to keep track of all the nests and nestlings so everyone can see the cute little fluffball chicks (and the naked pink squirmies, but those aren't as cute).
Turkeys! It's hunting season, so these guys are scared witless.

Eastern Kingbird, the other squeaky toy bird.

This is a Pileated Woodpecker hole, couldn't find the occupants though.

Another Eastern Kingbird.

Bald Eagle Nest, there are 2 chicks hiding up in there. Parents no where in sight.

Orchard Oriole that Ezra and I heard singing before we found him.

Brown Thrasher nest hidden in a wild rose bush, first nest of the year!

First Nest that I found, Eastern Meadowlark nest in the middle of a field.

Close up of Meadowlark eggs.

Tiny Snapping turtle, about the size of the palm of my hand.

We dropped her in a nearby creek so she could find food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment