March 9, 2011

Enchanted Rock

So this weekend my family and I took a trip out to Enchanted Rock in the Texas hill country. If you've never heard of it Enchanted Rock is a set of hills composed mostly of Texas pink granite (same stuff our capitol is made out of, yes, the Texas capitol is pink). Since the hills are granite instead of limestone like everything else they've weathered the years very well, but are also incredibly bare. There's some really cool rock formations out there and it is definitely worth the trip to go climb all over the rocks. Even if you're in horrible shape like me.

Anyways, I toted my huge-ass camera with me the whole time and this is what I ended up with.

Cool rock formations at the base of the hill
View of the hill next to enchanted rock.
Juvenile cardinal about to enter breeding season.
Male house finch, these guys are loud.
Lizard hanging out on a tree.
Roadrunner trying to avoid all the people on top of the hill.
Speed is the only thing Looney Toons got right about this guy.
This rock looked so out of place. Where could it have fallen from?
Male cardinal
Crested Caracara that was snacking on a flattened skunk.
Bald eagle in it's nest off Highway 29.
We actually visited the Eagle's nest twice that day, but the second set of pictures came out a lot clearer. However I did notice that it wasn't the same bird I was taking pictures of both times. The first bird still had a dark colored head, meaning it was a juvenile hanging around mom and dad hoping for handouts. Reminds me of someone I know... Oh, right, me.

No comments:

Post a Comment